Don’t you just love a warm bowl of soup on a cold day? We experienced some morning weather in the teens early this week and I head straight to the store with soup on my mind. I love a hearty soup that give you a variety of flavors and textures. This soup is easy to make, quickly if you are in a hurry, without sacrificing flavor.
Although I call it ‘Three Bean’ soup because of the cannellini, kidney and garbanzo beans there are so many other great things in this soup to add to your nutrition – barley, spinach, baby kale, chard – how about that for a bowl full of goodness! This is the season for the extra Vitamin C you will get from your greens along with iron and folate; the beans along with barley give you protein, fiber and antioxidants.
Try it whether the temps dip or not. Warm your soul.
Feed the wellness in you!
- 1/2 c pearled barley
- 9 cups of vegetable stock (Better than Bouillon is preferred)
- 1 - 5 oz bag of Fresh Express Baby Kale Mix
- 1 - 15 oz can of Chick Peas
- 1 - 15 oz can of Cannellini Beans
- 1 - 15 oz can of Kidney Beans
- 1 - 14.5 oz can Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes
- 1 - 14.5 oz can Diced Tomatoes with Green Peppers, Celery and Onions
- 3 links of Light Life Chorizo chopped
- 1 tbl onion powder
- 1 tbl garlic powder
- 1 tbl smoked paprika
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Put all ingredients except for baby kale mix in large pot.
- If you're in a hurry bring ingredients to boil then simmer for 30 minutes, adding baby kale mix last 5 minutes until wilted.
- If you're not in a hurry, let this cook on low heat for 1.5 hours adding baby kale mix in the last 5 minutes until wilted. This is even better if you prepare in a crock pot.