Inspired by a dish I had at a local restaurant, I made this awesome side dish with less than five ingredients! Butternut squash is such a versatile squash, lending itself to be sweet or savory with an ample dose of fiber and Vitamin B6. Paired with Cannellini beans for even more dietary fiber and protein, you have a great low calorie combination. Topped with roasted almonds this is a very easy and nutritious side dish.
Feed the wellness in you!
- 1 lb butternut squash, cubed
- 1 can of cannellini beans
- 1/2 cup bell peppers (red, yellow, orange)
- 1/2 cup unsalted almonds
- 1/2 tbl olive oil
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbl dried parsley
- ground pepper to taste
- Crush the almonds and place on cookie sheet lined with parchment paper in the oven at 200 degrees.
- Sautee the bell peppers in the olive oil until softened.
- Add the butternut squash and sautee for 15 minutes or until cooked yet firm.
- Add the cannellini beans and mix well for 5 minutes
- Add the balsamic vinegar.
- Add pepper to taste.
- Sprinkle the parsley on top.
- Remove the almonds from the oven (at this point they would have been in the oven for 25-30 minutes) and sprinkle on top of the butternut squash and balsamic vinegar.