We survived the Blizzard of 2016! I’m always ok for welcoming one storm during the winter so hopefully this is where it ends. Although I prepared to be snowed in a few days I grew tired of the food items I had on hand by day 4. I needed the ‘curfew’ to be lifted so I can get to the grocery store and be creative.
I often look for recipes that inspire me and luckily I found a winner Not only did it inspire me but I followed it pretty much word for word in creating it except for two ingredients and some minor changes in the cooking process. This is rare for me. When I say that recipes ‘inspire’ me it is just to give me an idea about creating something from scratch. Not this time! I saw the picture of the prepared dish and thought that it looked good, but when I went down the list of ingredients – brown rice, shredded carrots, spinach, broccoli, chickpeas and tofu – I knew it was worth a try. The only main ingredient I changed was used shredded red cabbage instead of spinach and I’m glad I did. Not only does it give it more color but it adds to the texture and flavor of the dish. I think the spinach would be bland and tone the dish down too much. For the peanut sauce the author used light soy sauce with sesame oil, chili garlic and peanut butter. I substituted the soy sauce with Bragg’s Liquid Aminos and didn’t use any sesame oil. This sauce is delicious! Sweet and spicy with a hint of peanut, I can see using this in various ways.
Do yourself a favor and make this REALLY soon!
Feed the wellness in you!
- Tofu Bowl
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 cups shredded carrots
- 2 cups shredded red cabbage
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 tbl olive oil
- 1 tbl sesame oil
- 1 cup chickpeas (drained and rinsed, if using canned)
- 16 oz extra firm cubed tofu, pressed and drained
- Peanut sauce
- ¼ cup low sodium soy sauce
- ¼ cup 100% pure maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons chili garlic sauce
- ¼ cup creamy or crunchy peanut butter
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Cube tofu and place in a single layer on a non-stick baking sheet and cook for 25 minutes. If you aren't using a non-stick baking sheet, lightly spray with cooking spray. Remove from oven and place in a shallow bowl.
- Whisk together the ingredients for the sauce (soy sauce, maple syrup, chili garlic sauce, peanut butter) until creamy and smooth. Add ½ of the sauce to the tofu bowl and let marinate while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- Toss the broccoli with 1 teaspoon olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper. Place in the oven and roast for 20 minutes until just tender.
- Heat sesame oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add tofu, in batches, along with the marinating sauce until crispy and golden browned, about 3-4 minutes.
- To assemble, divide the brown rice among 4 bowls, top each bowl with ¼ cup shredded carrots, ½ cup red cabbage, ¼th broccoli, ¼ cup garbanzo beans and a few pieces of tofu. Drizzle with remaining peanut sauce.
Recipe adapted from Alex Caspero - http://delishknowledge.com/peanut-tofu-buddha-bowl/