I celebrated my birthday almost two weeks ago and one of my wishes was to have a ‘staycation’ – lay poolside, read a book, and relax. Once my children are in a body of water and swimming, I don’t hear from them unless they are hungry and when they have a room number to charge to I am out of the equation. There are only a few hotels in town that provide these options so as I was looking at hotels and their menus (always important for me to make sure they have good vegetarian options or adaptable dishes) I came across a dish named Toasted Grain and Endive Sauté. The ingredients listed seemed to be quite tasty combined – black rice, farro, cauliflower, baby bok choy, endive, capers, golden raisins, smoked almonds, sesame oil, lime. I immediately jotted the ingredients down and was glad that I did since we didn’t eat at this restaurant.
When I returned home I made what I thought would be done with these ingredients as described. I stuck closely to the ingredients listed except for the black rice which may have been a nice contrast in color for the dish. I loved the idea of combining cauliflower, endive and bok choy.
Because of the use of grains and the crunch of the almonds it seemed like an interesting spin on rice pilaf to me and not a sauté as the name originally implied, therefore I named my dish aptly, Toasted Grain Pilaf.
I enjoyed what I did with it and it turned out to be a hearty dish that I felt could be eaten alone or as a side dish. I loved the use of lime and I thought of adding some cilantro and a touch of heat which gave it great flavoring. Enjoy!
Feed the wellness in you!
- Vegetable Stock
- 3/4 cup Farro
- 2 cups roasted cauliflower
- 2 baby bok choy, chopped
- 1 endive, chopped
- 2 tbl capers
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1/4 cup red onions
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 1/4 cup smoked almonds chopped
- Sesame Oil
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Sea Salt
- Onion Powder
- Garlic Powder
- 2 -3 limes
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup cilantro
- Cook the farro according to the directions in 1.5 - 2 c of vegetable stock. Should be 25-30 minutes. Set aside to cool
- Roast the cauliflower in olive oil, dash of sea salt, 1 tsp onion powder, 1 tsp garlic powder. Takes approximately 30-35 minutes.
- Sautee the red onions and minced garlic in 2 tbl of olive oil for 3 minutes on medium heat.
- Add the roasted cauliflower, bok choy and endive and cook for 5-7 minutes.
- Fold in the farro, capers, and 1/2 tsp of cayenne pepper; mix well.
- Squeeze the juice from the 2 -3 limes into the dish. If they are large limes, use 2.
- Mix in the golden raisins and 1/4 cup of chopped cilantro. Add salt to taste.
- Drizzle sesame seed oil on top.
- Sprinkle the smoked almonds on top, the remaining cilantro and serve.