In my quick dash in and out of Trader Joe’s over the weekend, I picked up a 10 ounce bag of Shaved Brussels Sprouts. I’m a big fan of veggies that are already chopped and washed for me. I’ll admit I often wash them AGAIN but when in a hurry I just keep it moving. I usually prepare whole Brussels Sprouts but use shaved in my salad mix. I thought I would sauté the shaved sprouts some way but wasn’t sure how.
When I arrived home I saw the simple recipe on the back of the package and the main ingredient for flavor was balsamic vinegar which I always use. I really didn’t have anything crazy imaginative in mind beyond what they described, I needed simple and fast. Truth be told, I needed my dinner done before the US Open Men’s Final started at 4 pm. Little did I know there would be a 3 hour rain delay!
I ended up using a dash of salt, onion powder, garlic powder, balsamic vinegar and the addition of Trader Joe’s sweet chili sauce. It’s a great condiment, and I use it on veggie hotdogs, hamburgers, vegetables and have also used it as a substitute for duck sauce.
So if you’re looking for a quick and easy side dish that is also low in calories, and very high in Vitamins C and K, give this a try. This recipe also works well with green beans. Stop in your local Trader Joe’s if you want no chopping and washing, pick up the few ingredients needed and this will be done in less than 15 minutes!
- 1 pkg of 10 oz shaved Brussels Sprouts (I use the Trader Joe's brand and they always have it)
- 2 tbl extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbl garlic powder
- 1 tbl onion powder
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/8 cup sweet chili sauce
- Sautee the Brussels sprouts in olive oil on a medium heat for 2 minutes until it starts to wilt.
- Add garlic powder, onion powder and balsamic vinegar and stir for another 3 minutes.
- Turn to low heat for 5 minutes then add the sweet chili sauce.
- Remove from heat and let sit for 5 minutes before serving.