When I say simple I really mean SIMPLE! No ‘haute cuisine’ here. In my quest to incorporate more protein daily in my vegetarian lifestyle I came up with a simple and easy lettuce wrap. It doesn’t have many ingredients nor take a long time to prepare. What’s great about this is you can substitute whatever veggies and protein you may like. This version has broccoli, quinoa, edamame, shitake mushrooms and roasted tofu — but the possibilities are endless. Talk about a protein packed dish – all of these ingredients provide a good portion of protein in addition to other vitamins and minerals like iron, fiber and vitamin C. Another bonus is that you can find most of these items prepared and/or chopped which adds to easy preparation. Tips on preparing roasted tofu can be found in my recipe Curry Tofu and Chickpeas if you cannot find any at your local grocer or salad bar.
Try it as a snack, appetizer or lunch option.
Feed the wellness in you!
Most grocery stores sell fresh broccoli crowns, shitake mushrooms, and edamame already chopped. At some salad bars you may find cooked quinoa and roasted tofu. This will eliminate most of your prep time.
- Romaine Lettuce
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1 cup chopped broccoli crowns
- 1 cup chopped shitake mushrooms
- 1/2 cup edamame
- 1 cup roasted tofu
- 1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup sweet chili sauce
- Cook the quinoa according to the directions. Shouldn't take more than 20 minutes.
- In a separate pan, sautee the broccoli crowns in 1 tbl of extra virgin olive oil on a medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Add the shitake mushrooms, edamame, tofu and sautee another 5 minutes.
- Add the quinoa, soy sauce
- Cook on simmer for 10 minutes.
- Drizzle the sweet chili sauce on top.
- Remove from heat and let rest for 5 minutes before serving.
- Add a few spoonfuls of the veggies on top of two large leaves of romaine lettuce and roll/wrap over the veggie mix to eat.