Despite my love for cooking I do not enjoy being in the kitchen in the summer. I love the warm weather but I don’t like going from the heat outside to a hot stovetop. So right now I am doing my best to prepare meals in as little time as possible. I got a lot of mileage from my mini frittatas last week and was able to enjoy them over a few days so I thought it would be helpful to create another dish that would provide me with the same benefit. A dish with a few ingredients, minimal preparation with protein and vegetables that I could have for breakfast, brunch, lunch or dinner!
The combination of the quinoa with egg whites was seamless and of course a great source of protein. The texture was great and the simple flavors of it paired with spinach and reduced fat feta was perfect. Opt for reduced-fat feta cheese to lower your intake of saturated fat by about one-third. Use just a small amount of feta cheese. Because it has such a strong flavor, it only takes a tiny bit to get the flavor of the cheese. What really tops this quiche off, literally, are the Campari tomatoes. The Campari has a great taste, firm skin, and sweet flavor. I served it with roasted broccoli and a salad for dinner, then just on its own for breakfast the next day. Enjoy!
Feed the wellness in you!
- 1.5 cups of cooked quinoa with 1/4 cup of green onions
- Vegetable broth or boullion
- 4 oz baby spinach
- 3/4 cup of crumbled reduced fat feta
- pinch of salt and pepper
- 3 Campari tomatoes
- 16 oz egg whites
- 9 inch pie crust (I used an organic whole wheat crust found at Whole Foods)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook 1/2c quinoa with 1/4 cup of green onions in 1 cup of vegetable broth or water with a vegetable boullion.
- Follow the package cooking directions which could vary between 20-30 minutes.
- When cooked measure 1.5 cups of quinoa and transfer to a large mixing bowl to cool
- Saute the baby spinach in olive oil for 5-10 minutes.
- Transfer the spinach to the large mixing bowl and let cool.
- Add the egg whites and feta cheese, mix well.
- Add a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Pour into the 9 inch pie shell.
- Slice the tomatoes and place on top.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, until cooked thoroughly.
- Remove and lets cool to a medium heat before cutting and serving.