I used to minimize the benefits of going to Costco. I talked myself out of going regularly because I couldn’t understand the utility of buying things in bulk, couldn’t justify the crowds, and then there were the long lines. I have gotten past that, particularly after having children, and have found some great ‘go to’ prepared food items. One such item is their Quinoa Salad. It is made in-house and is delicious right out of the package. This Costco version should be eaten within 2-3 days because it has chopped tomatoes in it and will get soggy if left unused. What I find interesting about the salad is that it incorporates the very underutilized Mung Bean, which I featured here last April in the pasta recipe Vegetable Pasta with Mung Beans. I decided to make my own version of the Quinoa Salad featuring the Mung Bean. It’s simple and you can add on your favorites to this base to make a more robust meal out of your salad – tomatoes, avocado, black beans, kidney beans, lettuce, cabbage, kale, protein – of course the options are endless. Enjoy this superfood salad!
Feed the wellness in you!
- 1 cup of quinoa (cooked yields 3 cups)
- 1/2 cup of mung beans
- 1/2 cup chopped mixed bell peppers
- 1/4 cup chopped red onions
- 1 can garbanzo beans
- 3 mini cucumbers
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 limes, juiced
- Cook the quinoa and mung beans according to package directions. Should be 10-15 minutes.
- Set aside to cool.
- Peel the cucumbers and slice.
- Whisk the balsamic vinegar and lime juice.
- Combine all ingredients together.
- Serve immediately or chill in the refrigerator until you are ready to serve.