Happy Monday! It was a great weekend. I took my children to see the movie, Paddington, and absolutely loved what they did with such a classic story. London is one of my favorite cities and with a mother who was born in a British colony it really tugged at me with the setting brought to life, the memories of orange marmalade and the calypso band at the end of the movie. Another highlight of the weekend was I had the pleasure of hosting a brunch for an awesome group of women. And they allowed me to serve an all vegetarian brunch! This is my second time offering a vegetarian menu to guests and it’s been a big success. Both times were to support my dear friend in her business as a CAbi consultant. She brings her charm and the clothing and I create the venue. That’s right up my alley.
I served eggs two ways – scrambled egg whites over spinach, black beans and freshly made salsa (cherry tomatoes, red onions, scallions, lime juice prepared the night before); scrambled whole eggs over the same combination and both were topped with cheese. I also had pasta with roasted broccoli in a tomato sauce; finger sandwiches with hummus and cucumbers; and a mixed green salad with cherry tomatoes, English cucumbers, chickpeas, blueberries and barbeque tofu with balsamic vinegar.
I loved watching everyone enjoying different, satisfying options. I placed another treat on the table after all the aforementioned dishes were out – my carrot quinoa mini muffins. I wanted to create a muffin that my whole family enjoyed because we all like different muffins. Whole Foods has seen the end of me purchasing mini blueberry, banana and carrot muffins! The kids even enjoy these muffins I’ve created because of the hint of dark chocolate. No other questions asked! They were a huge hit at the brunch and my platter was left with crumbs. So try these out for a change – made with whole wheat flour and quinoa gives you additional protein and the carrots are an added benefit with beta carotene and Vitamin A.
Feed the wellness in you!
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 2 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups grated carrots
- 1/2 cup cooked quinoa
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1/4 cup crushed dark chocolate
- Confectioner's Sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Use a non stick mini muffin pan.
- Whisk your dry ingredients together.
- In another bowl whisk the eggs, vegetable oil, and vanilla extract.
- Fold in your wet ingredients with the dry ingredients.
- Stir in the carrots, quinoa, apple sauce and dark chocolate.
- Divide the batter evenly in the muffin cups.
- Bake for approximately 20 minutes.
- Let cool and turn muffins out of the tins.
- Serve slightly warm and dust with confectioners sugar.