Tired of the same old broccoli? This is a sweet and piquant twist on this nutrient-rich vegetable.
- 12 oz bag Broccoli
- 8 oz can Chickpeas
- 1 - 2 Medium sized shallots, sliced
- ½ cup Black mission figs, halved
- 1 tablespoon Onion Powder
- ½ cup Balsamic Vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- Chop the broccoli in even chunks, wash thoroughly and drain.
- In a large pan, sauté the shallots on medium heat in the olive oil until translucent.
- Use 1-2 shallots depending on your liking. I love the mild flavor of shallots so I use closer to 2 shallots.
- Add your broccoli, balsamic vinegar and onion powder and cook for about 10 minutes.
- Add your chickpeas and cook for 20 minutes on a low heat. I like my broccoli fairly firm but cook until you reach your desired texture.
- Add the figs when broccoli is done and leave covered for 5 minutes.
What’s wonderful about this dish is that there aren’t many ingredients! The balsamic vinegar and figs provide such a nice balance.