I knew I was going to have a busy week last week and it would help if I cooked a meal that would last over a few days. It needed to have both protein and vegetables, and could serve as a main or side dish. Whole Foods had a special on all varieties of Swiss chard and I realized I hadn’t featured any recipes with this vegetable so far. The wheels started churning and back in the lab I created this baked quinoa and chard casserole.
Other than the Swiss chard, I had all the ingredients in my refrigerator and pantry. Lately I’ve been keeping cooked quinoa handy for tossing in my salads which I highly recommend. It’s easy to prepare and can have lots of flavor with just a few ingredients. For this dish, the quinoa base was cooked in vegetable broth, a little sea salt, onion powder, garlic powder and fresh chives. Swiss chard is simple to cook and has a unique flavor as all the greens do. I sautéed it in a little olive oil with onions and peppers. Combine it all with a few other herbs, spices and cheeses, and the casserole is ready for the oven.
Swiss chard is high in vitamins A, K, and C, which are your antioxidant and anti inflammatory vitamins. It is also rich in minerals, dietary fiber, and protein. Quinoa is a super grain that I can’t do without, providing me with much needed protein and fiber.
Try this recipe and get a big spoonful of wellness!
Feed the wellness in you!
- 2 bunches of Swiss chard, washed and chopped
- 2 cups Quinoa (about 6 cups cooked)
- 4.5 cups of vegetable broth
- 4 oz fresh chives, chopped
- 4 sweet peppers, chopped
- 1/2 c shitake mushrooms
- 1/8 c red onions
- 5 oz shredded parmesan/asiago/fontina cheese
- 1 c egg whites
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbl garlic powder
- 1 tbl parsley
- 1 tbl sage
- Cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook the quinoa in 4 cups of vegetable broth, chopped fresh chives, 1 tsp of sea salt. This should take approximately 15 minutes.
- In another pan, sautee the Swiss chard with the mushrooms, sweet peppers and red onions for about 10 minutes on medium heat.
- Combine the quinoa and Swiss chard in a large bowl, mix in .5 c of vegetable broth, egg whites and 2.5 oz of cheese.
- Add the remaining herbs and spices.
- Spray a baking dish with cooking spray and spread the quinoa and Swiss chard mixture in the dish.
- Top with remaining 2.5 oz of cheese.
- Cook for 20 minutes and serve.